Keep bias out of science | transparent vinyl science sticker (STEM)
"Keep Bias Out Of Science" sticker (1.64” x 2”)
The mission of science is simple: to describe - as best we can - how the world works, what’s in it, and how it became the way it is now.
Scientists are SERIOUS about being objective, so precautions are taken to minimize the risk of bias . This includes:
- using large sample sizes
- reporting undesirable results
- including positive/negative controls
- randomly selecting study participants
There is simply NO room for bias in science because it can skew results & render the experiment irreproducible.
However, even with these considerations, hidden biases are still known to affect our outcomes.
Science is one of the few fields that views bias as particularly egregious, so it hurts to see many people in the scientific community suffering from the very same biases we work so hard to avoid in the lab.
I can barely scroll through my feed without seeing gender, conformity, racial, and beauty biased comments in science. Imagine how it must feel to have your appearance/identity/motives questioned because you look different than your run-of-the-mill scientist.
So, this REALLY got me thinking.. Is there more we can do to improve our understanding of the world and further reduce research bias?
I think yes!
As we learn more about the world and develop increasingly complex scientific questions, we must ask ourselves: are there any weaknesses in our approach? In my opinion, a major weakness that needs to be addressed is the bias we impose on each other. Similar to our concern with research bias, accepting bias in the workplace is a dangerous game & has the potential to impose further hidden biases in our work. It’s our time to practice true science neutrality and #keepbiasoutofscience ! Will you join me? ☺️
Show off your nerdy side with pride! Our science stickers were designed to make a statement :)
Made of weatherproof & dishwasher-safe vinyl material. Our stickers will adhere to any clean surface, including:
reusable water bottles
Your order will ship within 3-7 business days depending on available stock.
*Standard Shipping does NOT include a tracking number*
Please select the 'Premium (with tracking)' shipping option to track your order & receive a free gift with purchase!
For the remainder of 2020, we're donating 10% of profits to organizations that support the work/career development of Black academics and creatives in STEM!
- #CiteASista: Did you cite a Black woman today? A movement and community founded by Dr. Brittany Williams & Dr. Joan Collier, Cite A Sista is focused on centering the voices and contributions of Black women. Learn more at citeasista.com
- WONDER Fund: With no progress on diversity in 40 years, geoscience is the least diverse field of science. WONDER will provide annual travel grants to Black or Indigenous women in earth and space sciences. This annual award will aid recipients in attending an American Geophysical Union conference of their choice. In order to set up the fund, a fundraising goal of $50,000 must be met. Learn more at wonderfund.womendoingscience.com
Over 200 [★★★★★] reviews on Etsy!
© 2020 Cell Kulture Co. LLC